elizabeth_mn: (seaside)
We got up at the crack of dawn on Sunday to attend the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. I hated getting up early but if you leave your house after 9:00 a.m. it adds an extra hour to the drive, because you are sitting in traffic the last five miles before the festival. So we left at 8:15 and got there just after they opened at 9:00.

I didn't get any photos because my camera battery died after taking ONE picture of The Girl in the parking lot. :P So these are almost all from my HB's phone.

Here is the new dress.

009

You can see more dress details in the dress post. I love way it turned out! Everything is drafted from The Tudor Child and I made most of it over a couple days.

We danced with the court dancers.

20150927_100357

Then later we danced with the Scottish dancers.

20150927_132827

We met Twig the Fairy.

20150927_094538

My favorite thing was talking to Felton, this hilarious and adorable puppet in a booth marked "conversations." Spin the wheel and get a conversation!

20150927_100859

As you can see I wore the same old thing.

We also saw Dr. Pandora's science show for kids, a little bit of a juggling show, met some huge puppet people, and hung out in the Princess Garden.

The weather was cool and pleasant in the morning and just verging on hot by midday. I ended up taking off her sleeves and tying them behind her arms to just hang there, which still looked kinda neat.

We were pooped by 3:00 and went home to eat takeout and loaf. It felt like a long day!
elizabeth_mn: (seaside)
I spent a few days making a shift for The Girl. Hand & machine.



I put the details here at my new blog.
elizabeth_mn: (Default)
Lainey’s ensemble consisted of a shift, petticoat bodies, and gown.

527842_10152139432485501_471737309_n


Notes and a couple more photos )

elizabeth_mn: (Default)

Here’s what I did for F’s costume.

Flora's dres ren fest 2012 (16)


Lots more photos and construction notes )

The only thing I didn’t like about the costume was that the underskirt didn’t show very much at the front split.  The two colors are so pretty together, so I wish more of the teal was visible.

Other than that, I really liked the way it turned out!   She got tons of comments all day at the festival.  People were amazed when I said I had made it, which always feels odd to me.  I appreciate the compliment, but really?  Where do they think clothes come from?  I don’t mean that to sound snarky, I just think people don’t realize how easy it is to pleat a skirt, and that many people make clothes.

For the chilly festival day, she was wearing lots of underlayers: a long-sleeved white t-shirt, a long-sleeved white thermal tee over that, then her shift; cotton cable-knit tights with Smartwool socks over them; then her skirt, dress, and coif. 

Pleats

Jul. 25th, 2012 03:00 pm
elizabeth_mn: (Default)
The first item on the hand-sewing list: cartridge pleats for L's dress.



I forgot how much I love doing these.  They are so much quicker than flat pleats and much more adjustable without taking the whole thing apart.  And I love the way they look.

The fabric is silk noil (her choice) lined with plain cotton and padded out with cotton batting.  Ever since the padded petticoat, this is my favorite method of adding fullness for this era.  Plus reading so many period references to "skirts with wadding" has made me feel like I'm doing something right.
elizabeth_mn: (Default)
My HB’s doublet is now in one piece, lined, etc. It needs buttons and holes and probably a few interior tabs with eyelets for lacing the hose to. I could have made these integral, but for some reason I thought it would be a better idea to whip them in after finishing.



side and back views )

The collar probably has a bit too much curve, but it was just sticking straight out in back on the first mock and I wanted it to hug his neck, so I pinched out a dart at the CB and translated it into a series of slashes on the pattern, which I lapped to create the extra curve.

collar pattern and finished collar )

I’m really not super pleased with the whole thing. The fit around the armscyes is weird, the sleeves have a huge weird wrinkle, the front drops a bit too low, the collar still looks odd, and there is just a sense of not-quite-right-ness about the whole thing. Maybe I will feel differently when the hose and jerkin are made, and it’s all together as an ensemble.
elizabeth_mn: (Default)
I've been toying with this idea of making my HB a pair of bias-cut cloth hose for over a year now.  I've gone through three mock-ups and I thought I was getting nowhere, but then I realized that the lumpiness on the top of the foot is just the nature of the beast; it doesn't mean I was doing it wrong.

Yesterday I finally broke down and did the scary part: cutting them out in the real fabric (a slate-color linen twill - wool would probably stretch more and fit better, but the heat is an issue).  I pinned one leg onto him and fitted it smoothly.  I'm using the pattern and directions from The Tudor Tailor.  All the shaping is done in the CB seam, which makes for simple fitting, but a really funky-looking pattern piece.  

This morning I trimmed the excess off the piece and transferred the changes to the other leg as well.  Then I sewed them up with a narrow zigzag as the book suggests.  I want to fit them again before I add the sole and waist facing.

I'm a bit torn about the codpiece.  Giant, stuffed-and-be-ribboned codpieces are really just too weird for my modern eye, and anyway the husband has given them a definite veto.  The dilemma is whether to make a small codpiece, or just a flap.
January 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 2017

Tags

Style Credit