Yesterday I finished writing my little documentation paper for my State Fair historic garment entry. They say they need documentation but they don't say how much or what kind, so I just wrote up about a page of explanation and included some photos (properly referenced. . . I hope) from fashion plates and costume museums.
So now I have a bit more of a guide for my project. I expanded the period I'm trying to represent, I decided it would be easier for me to just take into account all the years from 1870-1875, instead of just one specific year. It seems like corsets and bustles would be used for several years anyway. (I am so not a hardcore historian, so I'm just trying to do the best I can.)
Today I'm going to take the pattern from my black corset
(please ignore the 'this is the 100th picture I've had to pose for" look on my face) and modify it, add bust gussets, lengthen the hips, etc. and cut out the new corset. I'm making a matched set, corset and bustle, out of some lovely red/yellow shot silk I have left over from Mr. Painting's project last winter. I don't know how accurate that is, but I like having matchy underwear!
I also finally traced my new embroidery design for my embroidery entry so I can start doing the outlining tonight, yay!