Yesterday, I cut the shirt, inserted the placket in the front, attached the yoke to front and back at shoulders, and basted the side seams. My HB tried it on and liked it. I was annoyed by the little wrinkles that happen when you have a dropped armhole, but he said he actually prefers the dropped armhole to a more natural one and asked me not to change it. So that's that.
I also hemmed and finished the pants, so they're done and out of the picture now.
I spent about an hour and a half making the pattern for the coat. I took his LM double-breasted suit coat pattern (the one I have already fitted and changed) as a base and made changes based on an illustration in the Cut of Men's Clothes:
It's labled as a "single-breasted summer paletot." I'm not sure, but I think that for men's wear a paletot just means a short, light, square coat.
I put the lapel piece against the coat front, matching CFs, and placed tracing paper over them. I traced around them as one piece, with the little dart at the top as in the diagram, and making the lapel wider to look like my inspiration fashion plate. I did the same with the side back piece where it meets the front, again making the seam into a dart as shown. I made the back much wider and took that width off of the side back seam. The frock coat has a waist seam, so I just extended the pieces straight downward, flaring a bit at the side.
I cut a mock-up of the body pieces and tried them on my man yesterday. I needed to take in the side dart at the top, but other than that, it fits pretty okay. Definitely good enough for an informal summer lounging outfit.
Now I am waffling about interlining for the body. I tend to lean toward horsehair canvas, but I think that might be too hot and stiff. I think I will try to dig up some cotton twill or something like that from the stash to use for the body, and just use the horsehair for the collar and lapels. I also still need to get some small shoulder pads before the next fitting.
Today, though, I want to focus on finishing the shirt. I still have both sleeves, with cuffs and plackets, to do, and the collar, seam finishing, hem, buttons, and buttonholes. In short, about 2/3 of the shirt. It might be all I get done today, but I do hope to work on the coat a little.