I've been steadily plugging away at those bias bands. I finished all 3 horizontal ones and 2 of the diagonal ones. Then I put it on my dressform to pin in the last one and take a look.
Fine from the side, but. . .
The accent bands are WAY too close together at the top, and they're making a weird narrow diamond shape in front.
I tried moving the top of the smaller two back a little, which helps:
But still not quite right. You can see in the original
that the top end of each band is well behind the hips, and the vertical section is barely visible from the front. I had it pretty darn close when I pinned it in the first time
, but you can guess what happened next. I was using the skirt seams as my guide for placement, and I must have accidentally moved one seam forward.
When I thought about ripping out and re-doing all those tidy, finicky little mitered corners, I thought maybe I would just leave it be. But I realized I only need to rip (and re-miter) the vertical sections, then I can continue the line back another few inches before going up to the waist. I think I left enough excess length on each end to make this work without having to piece in more linen.