I (cautiously, timidly) picked up my blue bulky bolero sweater
yesterday afternoon, to try once again to pick up the underarm stitches for the left sleeve. This time, I measured across the entire length where the stitches need to be picked up, then divided that length by the number of spaces bewteen stiches to figure out how far apart to space each stitch. I measured to the center and placed a thread loop to mark. I measured half a space from that thread loop on either side and placed a thread mark. Then I carefully measured each space out from those, and placed another thread loop to mark where each stitch should go, until there were 5 on each side of the center mark. I double-checked the spacing and they were all even.
I wove in the end of a new ball of yarn along the cast-on edge, then took my crochet hook and picked up a stitch at each thread loop. I was very careful to place each new stitch the right distance in from the edge to avoid a funny hole. I knit a few rounds and started the sleeve decreases. I knew I wouldn't be able to see the pick-up row properly until I had knitted a few rows away from it.
And. . . I think it worked. I don't want to get to excited yet, just in case, but the weird holes that kept happening before are not appearing now; there are two tiny ones on either side where the sleeve increase line meets the pick-up row, but this is also on the other sleeve, and it's barely noticable. It is in the underarm, after all. I can deal with tiny holes there, just not giant, weird, irregular ones. I suppose I can always sew up any holes that do appear with wool embroidery floss.
I've knitted 3 inches of sleeve now, and I'm going to keep going. I hope it comes out okay, I really don't want to have to rip out again. I started this sweater in the beginning of last January (it seems like so much longer ago) and I put it down at the end of January when I hit trouble. If all goes well, the sleeve should only take about a week for me to finish, then I just need to attach 1 button and it's done. Altogether, about a month and a half is not bad to knit a bulky sweater, for me at least!
Also, I am up to 22 repeats on the green lace scarf now. My goal is still around 30.