Made one and a half of these yesterday and finished the remianing half this morning. I really don't know yet how practical they will be, but they sure are cute!
I used Malabrigo merino leftover from a hat I made a couple years ago. The pattern is Saartje's Booties (from www.saartjeknits.nl) but I omitted the buttons and just sewed the straps down to the bootie.
I also worked on the ribbing on my red cotton sweater. The pattern says to do 9 rows, but I think 7 looks like quite enough, so I'm going to do one more row and then bind off. Then I'll pick up the bottom band/ties, and then the sleeves last.