elizabeth_mn: (seaside)
I did end up finishing this in time for the Winter Ball.

lilac ballgown 010

I like it more than I expected. The bertha looked doofy the whole time I was making it, but when I put everything on it came together a bit. I accessorized with pink glass pearls, white gloves from Finale Gloves, and some off-white fake flowers in my hair. I just used my own hair, braided in two braids and coiled up, with a couple small twists in front.

lilac ballgown 026

The ball was great fun! The dance program was perfectly suited to my taste; lots of polka and figure dances and only a few waltzes. I danced mostly with my husband but with a few other folks too, including lots of ladies, because I do enjoy leading in a couple dance. But I did also polka with a gentleman and I did let him lead. So I'm not hopeless, really.

I got a few photos at the ball but as usual none really worth keeping. They are on my other camera so I might share some when I get them off there. But here are a couple more from home:

more pictures! )

And some construction details )
elizabeth_mn: (seaside)
Put in a little time on the 1860s ballgown this weekend.

60s ballgown 004

I am just holding it closed in back. After this photo I put the bones in the front and it smoothed out quite a lot. The neckline feels crazy high to me. Thoughts?

I was shooting for 60s but it really looks earlier to me, maybe because my hoop is small, or just because it is so plain. It still needs puff sleeves, piped facing, back eyelets, and bodice trim. Maybe it will look a little better once it's more together.

new project

Jan. 6th, 2015 11:41 am
elizabeth_mn: (seaside)
I've finally gotten all the laundry done and put away from holiday guests (sheets, mostly) and I've almost beaten the cold the guests brought with them. I rounded out my week of selfish modern sewing with some jammies, mending, and a felted-sweater mitten upgrade. So now I am really ready for the next costume thing.

The annual Winter Ball here is in less than 2 weeks, and I have nothing to fit the 1860s theme. Since I have no particular feelings about this period, I am not going to waste a ton of time, money, or effort on it. A simple cheap dress will do.

I bought some purple cotton sateen at work for this. I know cotton is not so very dressy, but see above. It's very nice for cotton, though! I am also not crazy about purple, but it was on sale and it is good enough.

I have the Laughing Moon pattern 117. I was going to use Truly Victorian, but a friend reminded me that a design with princess seams (instead of darts) makes fitting that wide neckline much easier.

So, a plain pleated skirt, a simple bodice, and a bertha with some lace and froof. I will also need a new low neck chemise, probably some drawers and a modesty petticoat for under the hoop, and a new bag, big enough to fit my good camera into.

Today is mockup day. I am really hoping this will be a relatively simple project. So wish me luck!
January 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 2017

Tags

Style Credit