I totally scrapped the last mock-up and pattern and bought a couple new patterns for the coat. Yesteray I cut one of the patterns out and today I made the mockup. I used Butterick 4620
, a nice, fitted, princess-seamed coat with classic lines. I made a few changes: I sqaured the rounded collar and lapel, and, since some of the edges are meant to be left raw and frayed, I added seam allowances to a couple places so I could have a finished edge.
I don't know why I even bothered with that other pattern! I think I used it because I already had it, and I only originally bought it because I was desparate, and I couldn't find the pattern I really wanted. I am so against slanty darts from now on!
I think the mockup is looking pretty good, since I really didn't make any changes to the pattern before I made it.
There are still a few more tweaks I want to make before I jump into cutting the actual fabric, but I think this is progress!